Subject: [Leica] Re: First Snow and Christmas: Digilux 2
From: firkin at balhpl01.ncable.net.au (firkin)
Date: Mon Dec 20 17:26:11 2004

Richard S. Taylor writes:

> firkin - I see what you mean about the yellow sign, now that you've called
> my attention to it.  With regard to getting the lamp up a bit, is the idea
> to get it and the bow out of the trees and to make it more dominant?

I would have liked the lamp against the sky, keeping the bow within the
trees. If the bow fell into the sky, its contrast with the sky might be too
great, but falling on the darker background keeps it "dominant".

> I don't know if the framing is exact or not now that I think about it.  It
> has an electronic viewfinder that duplicates what appears on the back
> panel LCD but that doesn't mean it covers the same field as the sensor,
> any more than most SLR finders necessarily cover the field seen by the
> film.  I'll have to check.
>
> It's an interesting question.  Until you asked, I just assumed they were
> the same.  I'll let you know what I learn.

Thanks. I think framing is even more important with digital cameras,
especially with a 4 or 5 MP where you want to have as many pixels at your
command in the final print as possible. I've always been happy with my negs
to crop almost 50% out of enlargements, so I'm not so fussy with the
rangefinder. I do not have enough experience to say this with certainty, but
my "research" would suggest I'd need at least 8 to 10 MP to allow such
luxury.

Alastair Firkin @ work ;-)

http://www.afirkin.com
http://www.familyofman2.com