Subject: [Leica] RE: Weeks 48 & 49 posted
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Tue Dec 21 20:34:23 2004

Thanks for the comments on the photos.

In terms of composition, I guess both are essentially
photojournalistic--no one is posed and elements and timing are a
product of random forces and the foot work and lens grab of the
photographer--making the best of the hand you are dealt.

  On the first
http://gallery.leica-users.org/PAW-2004-North-Carolina/Week_48
I got off a couple of other shots, position along the tracks was a
little different, but position of man's limbs was more animated here.
Columns on the overpass were also a bit better shown.
I would have liked to have a bit less unfocused stuff foreground left,
but I didn't get there quickly enough. Track entrance to frame is
cliched, I agree.

On the second
http://gallery.leica-users.org/PAW-2004-North-Carolina/Week_49
I guess I've always tended to crop more loosely than is considered
kosher (for newspaper work anyway). I dropped the edge of a boathouse
off this composition at right. What really frustrated me was not having
the tops of the trees in the reflections. I would have preferred more
complete symmetry, but didn't have it at frame bottom. I looked at
cropping the frame top to get symmetry, but couldn't bear losing the
curve or the tree tops. In final composition, I will likely try to get
the lower half density closer to that of the top to accentuate the
mirror effect.

Thanks for the engagement

Ric Carter

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] RE: Weeks 48 & 49 posted)