Subject: [Leica] Bessa R3A and VC 40mm F1.4
From: tcioni at telus.net (Terry Cioni)
Date: Fri Dec 24 09:08:10 2004

Hi All,

I purchased and have shot my first roll of film with a Bessa R3A  and
40mm F1.4 (Classic). The 40mm is an excellent focal length for my
purposes and so far I think it is a winner in terms of sharpness,
tonality, and contrast. The R3A is very like the RD-1 and shares the
same finder - it is bright and 1:1 which I quite like.  The frame lines
on the 3A body are 70 40 50 90 and you will notice the missing 35 frame
line which is replaced with the 40mm.

I did not get the official 40mm lens hood - and opted for a rubber
collapsible hood - which works just fine and take up less space in the
camera bag and under the jacket. The 3A is not as quiet as the M6/7 but
certainly useable on the street. I shot a few frames of Tom Abrahammson
in one of the Yew St. coffee houses (read dark).  I was shooting wide
open and the lens is a stunning performer - not on par with the Leitz
50 1.4 ASPH but not all that far off.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.

Terry

terry@terrycioni.com