Subject: [Leica] Leica glass on 20D (was Re: FOM 2 & LEICA - EOS MARRIED.)
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Dec 26 06:25:48 2004

Eric,
I can only speak of Canon glass vs Leica glass 20mm to 400mm.  You are
entirely correct that the Canon glass just is not as good as Leica's to
200mm.  I will admit that the 300, 400, 500, and 600mm Canon lenses are
superb. (Doug's gifted 400 FD was probably the weakest long telephoto
Canon made and it is no slouch.)

What do I find different? At the wide end the Leica's possess less
distortion, more micro detail, and surprisingly, less contrast.  The
contrast is the difference between a Kodachrome slide and a Velvia slide
of the same subject.

Individual exceptions of course exist.  The Canon 24 F1.4 is a much
better lens than the R version, and the 100 macro is truly world class
in both mounts.  The 35 F1.4 is probably overall a better lens in EOS
than in R.

However, with all things, if your individual specimen from any
manufacturer performs as you expect or want, or delivers the images you
covet; then that lens and system does the job and look no further away.
The manufacturers in camera equipment and golf equipment make a fortune
off their customers by making the promise that if you only used this new
wonder product your swing/image/game/sex appeal will be ever so much
better.

0.02

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com