Subject: [Leica] Christmas Night Fireworks
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Dec 26 09:17:58 2004

Sonny showed the best fireworks photography I've seen. :-)
Subject: Fireworks

Hi Sonny,
Absolutely right on the mark first class! Not only are they captured as
"fire works in the sky," that's a given without question. But it's the
double use of light! Now that's what sorts these out from most other
fireworks pictures.

But what's really  interesting is, photographic technique!! The location you
selected to make use of reflections on water! :-) Beautiful!
Sure the river and water front are there, however that doesn't mean everyone
thinks about making use of it! Certainly not as we see in many of your
photographs.

Given most people look up and take their fire work's pictures capturing a
bunch of flashes in the sky, but if they pick-up foreground it's just black
without detail or very little.

But in your case, and we've seen this reflection use in many of your
pictures beyond fire works, you make use of reflective surfaces to enhance
the scene. Rather than leaving a big black area devoid of detail. This is a
technique of viewing a scene and seeking a surface to make double use of
lights at night. Actually it works very well during the day as well if the
photographer knows the technique. And obviously if there's water or wet
surfaces available.

I'm sure you look for it when shooting certain subjects. "Where there is
water or a reflective surface how can I use it in this photograph ?"  It
becomes an automatic thought process when looking for and finally "seeing"
the picture and location. On assignments dependinng where and subject,  one
of the first things I look for are..... "big mirrors!" And to see how I can
make use of them for something different. Puddles and any water durface
works similarly. But if you do not think about it, an opportunity for a
different picture is lost.

But the most important learning element for many on the list is your
selection of shoot position, sure, to some degree probably from past
experience, nevertheless a spot to capture water and sky in one shot as in
this case!

Anyway I'm rambling, but then it's easy to make learning points for others
in many of your photographs. Well done mon ami!

ted