Subject: [Leica] Christmas present
From: bussbearm at aei.ca (Robert Beaudoin)
Date: Sun Dec 26 11:45:44 2004

Bonjour,

  Got a very nice Christmas present.  Des gens de mon quartier by Claire
Beaugrand-Champagne.  This is a book containing B&W portraits of so-called
ordinairy people from Montréal.  To be more precise, ordinairy folks you
meet in various locations in quartier petite patrie (rue Beaubien corner
St-Hubert  would arguably be the central point).  Most portraits were taken
on location.  A great moving little book that includes the personal history
of those photographed.  And for those into such trivial issues, Claire uses
a black Leica M5 with what seems like a 50mm black Summicron.

  And, by the way, I seem to recall that the so-called misalignment at 1
o'clock of SM lenses was done on purpose.  Apparently, Leitz (note the
spelling) wanted the user to be able to see all the camera/lens settings
from one angle; while looking at the top of the camera and that was not
possible when such a thing as a torpedo finder was used as the finder would
block the view for the focusing point.  Hence the 1 o'clock position of the
lens focusing indicator.  Then again my SM Summicron 35mm centers properly
at 12 o'clock....

  Best,

  Robert (Un chevalier sans blason)