Subject: [Leica] Stories
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun Dec 26 13:01:48 2004

It's one of the best photos anyone ever took. But a couple of years ago
the now deceased girl's parents in effect withdrew their release, and
Smith's widow, Aileen, agreed to it. The photo can never again be show,
reproduced, etc. etc. They said they every time they saw it it renewed
the pain, and kept them from healing. Which may be true. But the
agreement caused all sorts of debate among curators, photo ethics
mavens, etc. I have to say I'm in the camp that says a release is a
release is a release. And that images should belong to the ages.

B. D.