Subject: [Leica] Christmas Tree Adjustments
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Dec 26 19:40:31 2004

Philippe Orlent offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Christmas Tree Adjustments

> Ted,
> Although I very often agree with what you write, I don't completely go
> with
> what you say about PS.
> True, it's always better to start with a magnificent photo, but implying
> that one that is not cannot be saved, is one bridge too far IMHO.<<<<<,

Philippe mon ami,
Possibly a mis-interpretation of my meaning. Or.My poor use of language and
the meaning. :-)

What I mean is, if the photograph isn't a solid well shot photo to start
with, the fiddling with in PS will only take it so far to being perfect, but
it can be enhancing if one wishes to do so. This can even be in the sense of
being softly out of focus, then played with in PS to "sharpen it" as that
can only be taken so far to correct a "handling error at the moment of
exposure." However a reasonable use of PS.

Sure a picture can be saved by many means of manipulation in PS, but the
original image can only be saved to a point depending what the corrections
are and depending on the subject. Say in the sense of photojournalism where
our pictures are supposed to be truthful and as the scene is viewed as a
reproduction  of " real life as it happened." .

But as you say....

No question, as I've been amazed by friends whom are brilliant in the use of
PS. But you can only take a real life situation to correction so far when
it's a real life captured moment, before it becomes a lie through PS
changes.

> True, you can very often feel that a certain image has undergone the PS
> treatment, and a lot of digital photography looks easily too harsh, but I
> consider this to be a result of "putting tool in the wrong hands".<<<<,

And I completely agree with you on this point, as some folks take the PS
manipulations way beyond common sense of reality.

> For me, PS has become an essential part of contemporary photography and a
> tool that one
> uses to get as near to the image you imagined when shooting it as
> possible.<<<<

Now in this case as you describe, I see it as an "art form picture."
Therefore doing manipulation is anyway you want to take it to whatever your
imagination allows. Therefore a "true saving to your mind's eye original
concept!" But I do not see changing a photojournalistic photo to what  "your
imagination thinks it should look like."  If that's the case, then that's
cheating, lying and over use of PS!

That's a whole new game, real life compared to an art form! And we may be
talking about 2 forms of using Photoshop for saving or correcting a final
photograph? No?

regards,
ted