Subject: [Leica] Re: camera/lens choice
From: dnygr at cshore.com (dnygr)
Date: Mon Dec 27 08:30:38 2004

When I travel, I take three cameras: an M with the Tri-elmar (28, 35, 50mm),
an Xpan with superwide angle, and a Mamiya VII with a medium wide angle on
it. Each camera has only one lens for it.
My preference is for wide-angle photography. If the object I want to
photograph is too far away, I get closer. If I can't get closer, I work
around it or forget about that photo opportunity. I can't think of a single
regret about my having a zoom or telephoto lens with.

I may add a digital camera to the mix to send snapshots back while abroad.
In ten years, however, I won't be able to access the discs they are on in
all likelihood, so I don't think too much about the options there.

You may not like wide-angle shots. So my advice to you is to think about the
type of photography you do. I do like your idea of taking more than one
camera. When I was in Germany 18 months ago, I dropped my Leica and bent the
body and lens (aren't those Passport warranties great!!). Having back up
gear helped me through the trauma of this.

Best--Doug Nygren

Replies: Reply from jkoplen at mindspring.com (Julian Koplen) ([Leica] Re: camera/lens choice)