Subject: [Leica] Best camera/lens choice
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon Dec 27 09:37:22 2004

The 3E has 2 versions.  They are identical optically.  ( So whichever
version you pick, the optical characteristics are the same, and a
non-issue).

For the others reading this, please correct me if I have made an error in
description.

The first had a 55mm front filter ring.  It uses ( optionally) a 21 (24?)
ASPH lens hood, if you so desire.  This is the one that had the "click"
problems, and I have this version and it does not have this problem.. So the
reports are correct, but the degree to which there is a problem is
questionable.  Selling price for a used version is somewhere around
$900-1400.

The second version had a 49mm front filter thread, and I think came with the
lens hood.  It has DOF indicators, and the protrusion around the lens for a
finger spinner ( I have trouble describing the official name of this thing,
but I think you know what I mean if I say that the finger thing is basically
the same as on most Leica M series lenses, especially the 50/2 .)  Selling
price for a used version is around $1300-1650.

Yes, prices will vary, depending on where you look and what kind of a rush
you are in and your warranty expectations.

Buy your lenses here on the LUG, the quality is superb and the descriptions
usually understated  ( this gang takes care of their equipment).  EBay is
the other place to look for used, but be prepared to possibly get a less
than accurate description of your purchase.  The third place is at your
local camera haunt.

I would go with 2 bodies, just in case the first dies ( gets stolen,
dropped, malfunctions, etc.) Keep the other locked up someplace cool ( NOT
the trunk in a hot country) and safe.  It is your backup body.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from jefferys at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Best camera/lens choice)
Reply from joseph at yao.com (Joseph Yao) ([Leica] Best camera/lens choice)