Subject: [Leica] Best camera/lens choice
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Dec 27 22:42:47 2004

Arrgh, hit the Send button before I changed the subject. . .

Julian:  Whenever I travel, I just take one M body and the classic trio of
35, 50, 90.  If I'm going to Europe, then I take a 25/4 VC lens (recently
replaced by the 21/4).  The VC wide is so small it's insignificant in the
camera bag.

In 50 and 35mm lenses, I have both a pair of classic 1980s Summicrons and a
pair of modern Asphs (35 Summilux Asph and VC 50 Nokton).  If I'm going to
do a significant amount of available light, I take the fast pair.  If not,
I take the Summicrons.

For a travel 90mm, I would recommend the VC 90/3.5.  It is small like the
Tele-Elmarits, but very sharp wide open.  I love my 90 Summicron, but I am
not going to schlepp it for two weeks unless I *know* I need it.

How often do I use each lens?  In order of frequency, 50, 35, 90, 21 or
24.  If I had to, I'd leave them behind in reverse order.

Everything photographic I take has to fit in either my Billingham Small
Hadley or my little LowePro fanny pack,  with the exception of film and a
little table tripod.  One of these days I need to roll the Billingham in
the mud so it's a less tempting target, but my wife likes that it looks nice.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] Best camera/lens choice)