Subject: [Leica] Something for the vicarious walker
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue Dec 28 01:45:16 2004

Hi Walker,
I was brought up on a mixed farm in Lancashire. We grew potatoes,
mangles, wheat and barley. The barley was milled on the farm and mixed
into the animal feed. The mangles were for the stock too. We had 600
lambing ewes, milked 120 cows, had about 200 beef cattle fattening, 500
pigs and goodness knows how many laying chickens.
Farming is desperate in the UK now, it was the major casualty of
joining the EC who's agricultural policy was designed with the French
and Italian peasant farmers in mind. The farm makes about 1/20 of the
income it made in the 60s, its efficiency blighted by a policy worlds
apart from the British post war approach. The irony is that whilst farm
incomes have dropped to 1/20 the land value has increased 10 fold! Most
British farmers would be better off selling their farms, investing the
money and sitting around, rather than working 7 days a week. Farming is
in the blood though and most hope for improvements.
Frank