Subject: [Leica] Sontag and Doug Sharp
From: bdcolen at MIT.EDU (B D Colen)
Date: Wed Dec 29 07:24:45 2004

As maddening as I found Susan Sontag, I will suggest, Doug, that she was
hardly
a flash in the pan celebrity, as you seem to suggest.

Will she be remembered as a social critic on a par with Steinbeck? I would
suggest that she will be remembered as a social critic, by people who are
aware
that there are social critics, long after Steinbeck is forgotten, or is a
mere
astrik in discussions of the Great Depression.

Will she be remembered as a social philosopher on a par with Karl Marx? Of
course not - she did not provide the philosophical underpinnings for a
movement
that was responsible for the deaths of literally hundreds of millions of
human
beings around the Globe. ;-)

Love her or hate her, she was brilliant, and she wrote and said a number of
things that will live on long past the time when every damn one of us on this
list will be long forgotten.

B. D.

Replies: Reply from alal at duke.poly.edu (A. Lal) ([Leica] Sontag)