Subject: [Leica] Re: London challenge shoot
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Dec 29 21:42:26 2004

My deep dark and blazingly earth shaking original theory is that the more
you've got on a roll - the lower your hit rate. This has to do with the
nature of the universe which keeps everything fair and straight and has
nothing to do with how hard you think you are concentrating or how big the
film is.
I think if you got those rolls of 12 you'd probably get 4 good shots.
I think if when you use rolls of 36 you'd probably get 4 good shots. (I'm
happy if I get one)

Same with 24 on a roll. Or 72.
Maybe 4 good shots no matter what.

It also has to do with how happy and free and easy and fearless you are.
The more on a roll. The darker alleys you'll walk down.

That's the common denominator. Above which is sheer terror of wasting 20
cents by getting a stupid shot. They blink. Or you do.

With half frame and 72 on a roll you're out shooting any old thing. Why even
bother to focus? Kind of frees you up a bit. Like pencil sketching before
you bring out the oils. Maybe then when you switch to real time full frame
36 on a roll you'd get better shots.

I also think the reverse;
where when you feel you are in a rut with full frame 36 on a roll the thing
to do is to shoot some sheet film. Or 12 on a roll brownie film if that's
all you've got.
Then you end getting more the hit rate you want when you go back to plan A:
36 on a roll. Do not pass go do not collect 200 usd.

And of course 36 is only the best of mystical numbers.
12!? Forgetaboutit?!! I don't have to take my socks off to figure out that
one!

And 6x9 gives you NUMBER NINE (as John Lennon would say) shots on a roll.
Don't even go there you'll loose all need of your physical existence and
flat out disappear!

NUMBER NINE
NUMBER NINE
NUMBER NINE