Subject: [Leica] Re: London challenge shoot
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Dec 29 23:13:18 2004

Feli di Giorgio asked:
>>And while we are on it how many per roll do people like Ted, Tina etc
> average? Every once and a while you get lucky and all of the stars are in
> alignment and you nail more on one roll than in a week, but that's not
> everyday.<<<<

Hi Feli,
I've always figured no matter how many rolls I shoot it's about 10% of
what's exposed are keepers.  That doesn't mean the other 90% are thrown
away. It means 10% are the semi-final edit and out of that 10% one hopes to
find a few diamonds... if you're lucky.

In many cases the seconds are perfect for other uses or they become a
back-up image in case the final keeper gets damaged or lost. Some people
think because someone is a professional photographer they take a perfect
picture everytime...... if only!.... ;-)  Life isn't like that no matter who
the shooter is.

There are so many variables that occur when you're shooting, certainly for
the photojournalist covering any type of event or subject which you have
absolutely no control over. The more "action or activity" going on, the more
you hope the "good luck Angels" are on your side. :-)

Sometimes you come back with a million dollars worth of keepers in one day.
Then you have a week of hell and you absolutely despair because nothing is
giving you a visual break of any kind. And trying to "work harder at it?"
Forget it, because if you have to work hard by looking here there and
everywhere... then "it ain't there in the first place!" :-(

The best thing in your favour of being successful is, paying attention to
the details as you shoot! And that magical gut feeling when you know...
"shoot now!" :-)
ted

Message from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] Re: London challenge shoot)