Subject: [Leica] Exposure for Photographing people who have dark skin.
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Thu Dec 30 19:39:39 2004

When I shoot portraits of people whose skin does not have a reflectance of
18%, I meter off the back of my own hand. If I'm trying to act more
professional, I ask them to hold an 18% gray card just under their chin, and
I meter off that.

This is easy to do in a posed environment.

For shooting more random shots, my preference is to turn off automatic
metering, meter on my own hand, and then shoot until I think the light has
changed enough to warrant re-metering.

Replies: Reply from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] Exposure for Photographing people who have dark skin.)