Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder Basics
From: rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Sat Jan 1 17:40:28 2005

Hi Mike,

I'm a R system user too, and then bought into the M system for much the
same reason.  I use the Rs for technical stuff (nature, landscapes,
sport, products) and the Ms for family, holiday, wedding, fun.

Firstly, and with price in mind, TTL may not be so important.  Auto
flash will work well with a non TTL M6.  Also, you might find that  you
can successfully shoot at one or two shutter speeds slower with the Ms
than the Rs.  Fast lenses are also available - the look of ambient
light is hard to beat.  This Christmas I used 400 speed film - so fast
compared with my usual 100 - ah, what luxury to have so much shutter
and aperture up my sleeve.  Nevertheless, flash can be great for
freezing the movement of fast moving kids in low light!  I'll often pre
focus and zap the kids when they get there.

So, good, modern and relatively inexpensive pieces in the M range would
be:

M6 or M6 TTL (built in meter is great and these bodies are not much
more expensive than good condition earlier Ms).
50/2.  One of Leica's best (and least expensive) lenses.
35/2.  The later 35/2 Aspherical is stunningly sharp, but more
expensive.  Some folk talk about the attractive out-of-focus rendering
of the earlier non-aspherical version.
90/2.8  Light, sharp and much less expensive than the faster 90/2 Asph
(again - stunning).  The 90/2 non-aspherical is softish when wide open
(a nice kind of soft though) but much sharper f4 and on.

The trick might be to narrow down your thoughts on system elements and
then ask about particular items.  Some of the lenses in the M range are
real standouts and it would be good if you could get a hold of those
from the start.  It isn't necessary to get the fastest lens in each
focal length - the slower ones can be sharper, as well as being lighter
and cheaper.

My one line recommendation would be to get an M6 with either a 50/2 or
a 35/2.  Go on from there.

Have fun deciding.

Rick.