Subject: [Leica] Dropping Ms
From: dnygr at cshore.com (dnygr)
Date: Sun Jan 2 05:59:49 2005

I have dropped my M on two occasions and had mixed results. The first time I
dropped it from about a height of 5 feet. Fortunetly, I got my footout and
managed to break the force of the all with my boot. Result: No damage.

The second time I dropped it from a height of six feet. I had hit the camera
in a closet while I had gone to supper in Germany with friends. When I came
back, I forgot that I had placed the camera in closet. When i pulled
something off the top shelt, I heard this heavy thud. It sounded like a rock
had hit the floor. It was my M with a 28mm on it. It seemed okay.

The next morning, as I took some photos, however, I first discovered I had
difficulty focusing. The ring was more difficult to move than it had been
before. The barrel was bent.

More difficulties arose when I tried to take the film cannister out of
camera, but had a great deal of difficulty. The body was bent. Camera and
lens were now dead weight for the rest of the trip.

The camera was out of warranty and I had to pay for the repairs. The lens
was still under Passport warranty and was fixed to perfection.

The trip nevertheless remained a photographic success because I had backup
cameras with. As I've noted before, I travel with a dedicated lens to each
camera. If the lens or camera breaks, I have only one camera and one lens as
dead weight.

I am also partial to certain lenses, feel more comfortable with them, have
better results with them, etc. On this particular trip to Germany I broke
that rule. I have planned to take a 35mm Summilux with rather than the 28,
but in the rush to leave, I forgot to chnage lenses. That turned out to be a
lucky break. The 35 was no longer under warranty, whereas the 28 was.

Happy New Year--Doug Nygren

Replies: Reply from msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Horrors! Falling Leicas!)