Subject: [Leica] BESSA R3A or M7
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Jan 3 10:16:48 2005

Rick responded to:

Rick said:
> Me neither.  Though, I've never tried it.  :-)
>
> We had a big yack about the value of incident meters being the ants pants
> a second ago, in relation photographing differing skin colours.  Various
> folks pointed to the advantages of assessing the light by some method that
> is independent of the actual subject being shot.  So where is the
> advantage of an M7, with aperture priority automatic mode, and highly
> reactive to the subject?
>
> I'd prefer to set my meter for light that I just know, or, meter off a mid
> tone somewhere and then shoot till I need to re-assess.  An M7 on auto
> would not work this way.  Nor would I stay as mindful of what the light is
> up to.
>
> But then I see that many love the M7.  Perhaps I should try one.  :-)

Hi Rick,
As you know I use 3 M7's, 99.9% of the time on AE lock. Colour of skin,
background, front ground whatever and I bang away only concerned with the
focus and action happening with nary a thought about exposure. And I must
say I've never had so many exposures perfect for printing with almost the
exact printing exposure time as we've had since using the M7's on AE.

I know the exposure is read off that little white circle on the shutter
curtain, well all I can say is, whatever the hell else it does it must be
magic because it eliminates "exposure concerns" and leaves one for complete
concentration on the subject and focus, action.

If you haven't tried one, you will be very surprised how accurate they are
at doing whatever it is they do. Roll after roll, like in the hundreds of
rolls, as in thousands of exposures. :-)

If a person is using an M7 and having problems with not trusting the AE
exposure lock, then there are other influences causing the exposure
problems. The photographer's ability in handling the camera, not trusting
the meter and over riding the exposure, therefore screwing up what would've
been a correct exposure or wildly possible the camera is malfunctioning.

I wouldn't trade mine off for anything as they've sure made life much easier
in the darkroom and scanned to screen!

ted

Message from rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] BESSA R3A or M7)