Subject: [Leica] Re: Best camera/lens choice
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Jan 3 20:33:21 2005

> I did just that (almost) this past August.  My family and I spent 30
> days in Nova Scotia, Canada (a very wonderful place).  My travel
> equipment was Rollie 3.5F 120/220 and 100 rolls of Fuji NPC 120.  Back
> up cameras was Leica M3 w/25mm Canon and 135mm Canon, 20 rolls Fuji
> Sensia 100 and a few rolls of Provia 400 for low light.  I used almost
> all the 120 and brought home about 1/2 of the 35mm film unused.
>
> Next trip I will most likely also take the Rollei and Leica M3 w/
> 35f1.8 Canon and 135f3.5 Canon.
>
> Happy New Year to all.
>
> Mike

Why not 220 film Mike! Love that stuff works great on the Rolleiflex. And
NPC comes in 220. Will lighten your load and you feel like your missing less
shots if things start happening at all fast.

But 160 ASA film 6x6cm that's good for wall sized blow ups with a tripod
which I'd hate to leave home with medium format slow film.

Some people think of the 400 as their high rez nowadays.

I'm standardized on NPZ. ASA 800. I like to shoot hand held more.
For tripod work I'd bring some 400 NPH. I think that stuff is good for
big-time landscape work having a 200 to 300mg scan made from it for a 20x24
to 30x40 print.  But I'm sure not everybody agrees with me. Some of these
"guys" do shoot color neg! But if THAT was my main thing I guess I'd go 160.
And not shoot transparences.
I don't understand the lure of transpananies.
They are a slow expensive pain as far as I go. I hate bracketing everything
and shooting at ASA 100.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon