Subject: [Leica] BESSA R3A or M7 (now metering)
From: billgem at hotmail.com (Bill Marshall)
Date: Tue Jan 4 18:02:02 2005

Luis, thank you for your thoughtful reply. I took no offende at your
comment, but I didn't understand your reference to "politically correct."
Thank you for educating me about the difference of this term in our two
cultures. I think that it means something a little bit different in USA &
also has become politically charged.

I have become a fan of the Zeiss Ikon since seeing it & handling it at
PhotoPlus Expo in New York. I was trying to say that I don't think that it
is the middle way. It will do absolutely everything that the M7 will do & in
fact in some ways will do it a little bit better. The big difference is that
you will save some money when you buy it. Leica fans will say that it
doesn't have the "build quality" of an M7, but I really don't know if that
matters much & many Leicas have to be sent back for repairs & service.
Because of its name & tradition, the Leica will probably hold its value
better. It's your choice so do what makes you happy.

As an aside, I was in a Leica shop today where the owner had an old Leica R3
and an old Leica R4 on display. He explained that both were made by Minolta
& were identical to Minolta models that were current at the time, but cost 3
times as much. To make matters worse, he said, when a shutter had to be
replaced in one for a repair, the exact same Minolta shutter cost 3 times
the price when ordered from Leica. Moral of the story: when buying from
Leica, you don't always get what you pay for.

Cheers,
Bill

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr) ([Leica] BESSA R3A or M7 (now metering))
Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] BESSA R3A or M7 (now metering))