Subject: [Leica] Nikon 5000ED
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Wed Jan 5 19:39:20 2005

I have a V. The documentation stinks and the preview is
barely usable.  The real docs are on a CD, not the booklet
they provide, but the CD docs stink as well.  GEM and the
rest of the post processing slows down scans considerably.

You can setup a canned "Settings" entry with a lower scan res
and crank out a set of smaller files to function like a digital
contact sheet. I do this with B&W negs and batch scanning.
Then devote attention to the frames of interest, make higher
res scans, etc.

I recently got Vuescan. Docs are even more minimal, but it
seems to clip highlights less with B&W negs. Also a few areas
of exposure control that are more fine grained.

What really bugs me the most is that I don't have a very
clear mental picture of *exactly* what the scanner and
post processing software are doing, and then a completely
"deterministic" degree of control over each step. The
simplistic "how-to" Nikon docs don't help me at all in
this regard.