Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon 5000ED
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Thu Jan 6 13:16:30 2005

Nothing like learning on the job. I'm still hoping to get tips for the
Scanner. Photo techniques arrived yesterday with and article on
advanced scanning: I thought "you little bewdy" and then scanned the
article --- seemed a watered down version of the advertising hype used
by Nikon :-(

So I will list tip/problems I'm facing and solutions I've found should
anyone be interested.

Scanning Kodachrome slides with the SF-210 feeder: occasionally, the
feeding slider is a bit to thick and actually catches on the window
mount of the 2nd in line slide, jamming the loading process. I found
that the mount has a slight indentation and that if I reversed the
mount it did not catch: of course now the emulsion side is wrong and
the image has to be reversed.

Scanning plastic Kodachrome mounts (Australian at least) with the
SF-210 feeder: when the plastic feeder begins to push the slide, it
"bucks" up like a horse and the mount catches on the plastic bar half
way in. On examining the slide mounts, I found there was a difference
in the ends, one is smooth and the other has a slight ridge where the
mount has been sealed closed. The ridge seems to have caused the
bucking because when I turned the slides over (keeping the emulsion
side the same) they slide in fine.

Scanning Kodachrome slides at high quality (120meg file) the scanner
just seems to give up for no apparent reason after between 6 and 12
slides: HELP. Any suggestions. Occasionally it just seems to freeze in
mid scan and then shut down with no jam or physical problem. No
solution yet. Can anyone suggest how I might allocate more memory to
the process. My other thought it that I'm running it through a USB hub
and the manual does say not to: I'll try that and get back on this
issue later.

Happy filing ;-)

Alastair

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re: Nikon 5000ED)