Subject: [Leica] WTB - Starter Camera for 12 yr old
From: Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway)
Date: Thu Jan 6 13:20:19 2005

Wade:

I would recommend a Spotmatic.  They are now very inexpensive, $50-100,
compared to just a few years ago. The excellent Takumar lenses are going
for peanuts and the Spotmatics can still be repaired if necessary... as
opposed to the ES models for which parts are hard to find.

The K1000 doesn't have a DOF preview button as does the Spotmatic, and I
think that's something he would use if he's really interested in
learning about photography.

There's one on ebay now for under $15... low enough to have it
recalibrated for a silver oxide battery... cheap, cheap, cheap!

Jim