Subject: [Leica] WTB - Starter Camera for 12 yr old
From: bparsons at jhancock.com (bparsons@jhancock.com)
Date: Thu Jan 6 13:16:38 2005

Wade,

This sounds like a very cool kid. ?No rangefinder in his future?

Bill Parsons
(cell) 617-680-2779
|+------------------------------+-----------------------------------------|
||   "Wade Heninger"            |                                         |
||   <lists@heninger.org>       |   ? ? ? ? To: ? ? ? ?"'Leica Users      |
||   Sent by:                   |   Group'" <lug@leica-users.org>         |
||   lug-bounces+bparsons=jhanco|   ? ? ? ? cc:                           |
||   ck.com@leica-users.org     |   ? ? ? ? Subject: ? ? ? ?RE: [Leica]   |
||                              |   WTB - Starter Camera for 12 yr old    |
||   01/06/2005 04:04 PM        |                                         |
||   Please respond to "Leica   |                                         |
||   Users Group"               |                                         |
|+------------------------------+-----------------------------------------|

> It seems to me that your friend should have a talk with the kid re a
> digital camera. ?I would think a 12-year-old would consign a non-digital
> camera to the closet with the drums in pretty short time.
> If they spent a grand on the drums, maybe they can raise the stakes a
> bit.
> Examples I might suggest are Canon G3, used; Panasonic (Leica zoom)
> DMC-FZ10, used.
> These are nice cameras and can be used in manual mode. ?They are
> expensive
> enough that, even used, they should be in good condition.
>
> If I were 12 and getting a camera, I'd want one like my friends have,
that
> shows the picture right away. ?In addition, the savings from film
> processing and prints in a few months will pay for almost any camera
> being
> considered.

The family has a digital camera or two lying around to use if he wants.

He is more interested in learning the basics, and that is so much easier to
do with a manual SLR.

If he gets into it, he'll move up to something else.

The PS digitals have too much crap on them and most just shoot in automatic
because it's a pain to change anything with all those menus, screens and
such.