Subject: [Leica] Media Life
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Jan 9 08:18:06 2005

Two answers, if you burn to specific Mitsui media the consensus opinion
is that the data will be good for around 100 years.

The second answer is to migrate to DVD's from the same manufacturer as
the data density increases, it is the newer technology and so likely to
be supported longer.  Currently we have CD/DVD player/burners and will
soon have DVD/whatever Sony replaces that with.  I don't really think
that CD's will be around that much longer as a data storage device.

Fooled you, the third answer is an external, USB compliant hard drive.
Very stable storage if not powered up, much quicker read/write, central
location for your digital files.  Downside is that you have massive loss
if failure occurs, and you will have to pay attention to changing
standards as when/if USB is discontinued.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com