Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Ikon Focus Shift
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Jan 11 07:08:48 2005

Good Lord, Mark - If we want to talk about marketing hype and babble -
written in Germlish - let's start dissecting the pap/crap the Leica
marketing folks put out. And btw, if we want to talk about licensing,
and etc., should we start a months-long thread about Leica's old
relationship with Minolta?

Who manufactures the Zeiss M mount camera and lenses doesn't matter for
a damn if they do so to Zeiss standards, and Zeiss stands behind the
products. And, as you know full well, we won't know if that's going to
happen until people get their hands on and use this stuff.

It seems that the bottom line here is that IF the Zeiss stuff is AS good
as the Leica M equipment - particularly the lenses - and is priced as
described, Leica is pretty much finished, because only slavish RedDot
addicts will pay 1/3 to twice as much for the same quality. IF it turns
out that all this is Zeisshype, and these are nothing more than standard
Cosina lenses with a fancy brand name and price tag attached, then Leica
and all Leica fanboys can chortle and go back to waiting for the digital
back and digital M.