Subject: [Leica] Re: [MyOlympus] a link for Bob....
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Jan 11 09:13:35 2005

It's "the rule" in documentary photography, Bob? Whose rule? What
examples, and what number of examples, can you provide to prove that
it's "the rule?" And while putting your "proof" together, keep in mind
that many of the great documentary/pj stories of the past - I think
particularly of those that appeared in LIFE - contained posed,
artificially lit, photos that weren't "staged moments," rather than
decisive moments.

Sure, any jerk with photoshop can screw around with a photo and easilly
do what I'm sure it took the great - and I hold him in the highest
regard - Eugene Smith some time to do in the darkroom when he sandwiched
two negatives for a portrait of Albert Schweitzer....(sp?)

But the reality is that photography has always only been as honest as
the person holding the camera - and so it shall continue to be.

If you don't like digital, and prefer film, more power to you. But no
amount of pointing to what you see as digital's faults is going to
change the reality that it is THE dominant photo capture medium, and
becomes more dominent with every passing day. If I remember correctly,
about two years ago you were telling us that digital was but a passing
fad; you seem to be playing variations of the same tune to this day.

So go take your images on film, arrange to have them stored in that
underground facility in Pennsylvania that now holds what hasn't
deteriorated in the Bettman, and the world will rest easy, knowing that
they will be with us for generations to come.

Now, where in hell did I put those 40 contact sheets and negatives I
shot at the 1964 Newport Folk Festival - the ones I haven't been able to
find for years and undoubtedly never will? Or where did Newsday put the
negatives I shot in Somalia, the ones they can't find despite having a
normally great filing system, library, and extensive storage facility?
Oh, they're lost forever? Damn - I shot have shot them on digital; then
I could blame technology for my loss. :-)