Subject: [Leica] New Year's Eve in the rain
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (nathan.wajsman@planet.nl)
Date: Wed Jan 12 01:31:27 2005

Being conscious of the fact that the majority of the pictures I have
posted in the past 6 months have been digital, I need to re-establish
some street cred on the lists...so here are some traditional Leica
photos: M6+35mm+Tri-X, in available light.

As we always do on New Year's Eve, my sister, brother-in-law and I
stayed home until midnight, said good riddance to 2004 (not a
particularly good year for our family), and then drove to the central
square in Wroclaw, where people had congregated to celebrate outdoors.
The weather was awful, about +5C and strong rain, so clearly this was
not the right environment for a DSLR. Fortunately, I had also taken my
M6 on this trip, and it came through with flying colours. There is some
flare and softness in the images due to rain drops on the lens, but
hopefully you still get the idea of the atmosphere:

http://www.leica-gallery.net/wajsman/folder-7596.html

This is also relevant to a discussion on the LUG (I think) about the
extent to which a Leica is weather-proof. It's not. But an M6, being
fully mechanical, is relatively immune to rain--the only thing that can
go wrong is the meter, but the camera certainly continues to function.
This is also implied in the instructions in the manual about using the
lens hood to help keep rain away from the front element. My M6
functioned impeccably even though it received a good soaking. Back in my
sister's apartment, I just let it dry overnight and all was well.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Almere, Netherlands
http://www.nathanfoto.com