Subject: [Leica] New Year's Eve in the rain
From: s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal)
Date: Thu Jan 13 16:54:18 2005

> Being conscious of the fact that the majority of the pictures I have
> posted in the past 6 months have been digital, I need to re-establish
> some street cred on the lists...so here are some traditional Leica
> photos: M6+35mm+Tri-X, in available light.
>
> As we always do on New Year's Eve, my sister, brother-in-law and I
> stayed home until midnight, said good riddance to 2004 (not a
> particularly good year for our family), and then drove to the central
> square in Wroclaw, where people had congregated to celebrate outdoors.
> The weather was awful, about +5C and strong rain, so clearly this was
> not the right environment for a DSLR. Fortunately, I had also taken my
> M6 on this trip, and it came through with flying colours. There is some
> flare and softness in the images due to rain drops on the lens, but
> hopefully you still get the idea of the atmosphere:
>
> http://www.leica-gallery.net/wajsman/folder-7596.html
>
> This is also relevant to a discussion on the LUG (I think) about the
> extent to which a Leica is weather-proof. It's not. But an M6, being
> fully mechanical, is relatively immune to rain--the only thing that can
> go wrong is the meter, but the camera certainly continues to function.
> This is also implied in the instructions in the manual about using the
> lens hood to help keep rain away from the front element. My M6
> functioned impeccably even though it received a good soaking. Back in my
> sister's apartment, I just let it dry overnight and all was well.
>
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Wajsman
> Almere, Netherlands
> http://www.nathanfoto.com
> http://www.fotosevilla.com
 Hi , i really like this a lot better then the Canon stuff you have shared
lately.
I,m sure that even without your extensive comments i would have come to the
same conclusion ( well 99 percent sure).
With your latest work i some what disliked your commentaries for me  a
picture should appeal or evoke something,whatever without  a descriptive
text.
But.. i fully realise that i do not have the eye the photographic
backgrounfd knowledge etc. to make sensible comments.
Often pics of yours are praised i would have discarded.
 So please be not offended by my remarks , it,s just my random thoughts (and
some awfull scotch).
best regards
simon jessurun
amsterdam