Subject: [Leica] The Zeiss Choice
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu Jan 13 13:02:15 2005

PMFJI again, there is no way to do parallax compensation on the wider
lenses using separate viewfinders. The DR summicron eyes contained
prisms to deflect the field of view of the framelines for the last few
inches of close focus, there is not a big enough viewfinder window in a
normal camera to deflect the view that far, hence this is also one of
the functions of the eyes for the 90 macro BTW.
The bigger problem of parallax on a viewfinder camera at close
distances is the physical distance between viewfinder and lens. Since
the viewpoint is, at wide angle of view and close subject, very
significantly in a different place for the photographer compared to the
film, the alignment of objects will be quite different on film than
that seen by the photographer through the viewfinder. Imagine, in
absurdam, taking a picture through a fence with the viewfinder up to  a
knot hole, the lens would see nothing but fence!
Frank