Subject: [Leica] 20 Discards - now art history
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Fri Jan 14 07:07:40 2005

I do not agree with you, Or should I
say I only partially agree with you.
And I strongly disagree with that
English teacher.  Has he not read
James Joyce ?  Or Mark Rabiner ?  :-)

Understanding the tradition in which
the particular artist/writer/photographer/
filmmaker works or comes from is often
important.  Allusions, conscious and
unconscious, to other works occur all the
time.   That tradition is just part of the
context of the work, among other things,
including the author's personal life.

Take a very mundane example, just
because I happened to be thinking about it.
I would not have enjoyed Quentin Tarantino's
"Kill Bill" had I not watched and enjoyed
the Kung Fu movies, the spaghetti westerns,
the Japanese woodcuts and comic strips,
and gangster movies in the 70's
It is not a great movie in any sense, but
without understanding the tradition whence
it comes from, the viewer would miss the points.
Same goes with many, many works of creativity.

There is art history, and there is art theory,
and it is all too easy to go overboard with the
theory.  Go make history and don't worry about
the theory.

- Phong