Subject: [Leica] 20 Discards
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Jan 14 06:38:40 2005

Don't get sucked into that one, Simon. It sounds to be like a theory
developed by someone with a PhD in nevertookaphotograph. I have the
greatest respect for people with extensive knowledge in any subject, no
matter how arcane. But at the same time I think we can far too easily be
sold a bill of goods about what we don't know about things we may
understand far better than people who tell us what we don't know. If
that makes sense.

The idea that you need to study art to see what's in a photo reminds me
of the English teacher who used to say that if a poem has a "hidden
meaning" the poet has failed. That doesn't mean you shouldn't need to
really think about what a photographer, or a poet, is saying - it just
means that you should be able to understand the photo or poem.

B. D.