Subject: [Leica] RE: FS: Leica IIIf BD ST
From: eduardoalbesi at ciudad.com.ar (Eduardo Albesi)
Date: Fri Jan 14 20:49:45 2005

Hi Gil,

Sorry to disillusion you, but your camera is indeed a IIIf. It perhaps
started life as a Ic, and was later factory converted. Such 'upgrades'
were routinely done at the Wetzlar factory, even since the early days
of Leica I(A). They usually maintained the original serial number, and
for that reason you can now find Leica II's and Leica III's with SN's
that correspond to earlier models.

The IIId exists and is indeed a very rare camera, derived from the IIIc
first version (pre-war model) and built in less than 450 samples. Both
IIIc pre war and IIId have a step under the rewind lever (A-R lever) to
the right of the rangefinder housing. The IIId has a selftimer and the
IIIc doesn't. Serial numbers are all below the 400,000 threshold that
marked the beginning of post war production (1945-46).
It is said that IIId production ceased as either there was a shortage
of selftimer mechanisms (I seem to recall they were produced in
Switzerland) or either it was a very unreliable mechanism.

A Leica IIId commands a very high price amongst collectors, with very
nice samples approaching the USD 10,000 tag. If they can find one.

Best regards,

Ed Albesi
www.sololeicas.com

El 15/01/2005, a las 0:38, Gil Gabo escribi?: