Subject: [Leica] special run F2.8 Elmar...
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon Jan 17 12:53:52 2005

This is what you pay Leica the big bucks for... and why it is better to buy
a currently manufactured Leica lens rather than say a 40-50-60-70 year old
lens.... Manufacturing tolerances are much tighter today than they were 50
years ago.  The sample variation is therefore tighter.  It does NOT mean
that you would always  get a dog or a near perfect lens in the older lenses,
but the variation was greater.  Today the lens variation is really low.
Result is that you almost always get a really good lens.

Tight manufacturing tolerances cost.  They are not free.  The results are
worth it.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

I really think there is considerable sample variation in the CV lenses.
I am super impressed by my 15mm but many have criticised it. I had a
hideous 50mm Nokton but my 75 and 35 f2.5 are great.
Frank

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] special run F2.8 Elmar...)