Subject: [Leica] In need of batch slide scanner recommendation
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Thu Jan 20 00:07:48 2005

At work (Unit for Digital Documentation) we have a similar task: scanning
all of the slides from one of the national (Norway) museums. We're using
the setup Tina describes: LS-4000 with a slide feeder. The person doing it
doesn't have photographic experience, he's an office worker, but it just
chugs along.

I have the LS-5000 at home. It's rumoured to be faster. I haven't noticed.
I don't know where Nikon gets its 20 second scan times from.

Daniel

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Tina Manley wrote:

> At 03:19 PM 1/19/2005, you wrote:
> >Hey kids -- I have about six million slides that need to be scanned. I'd
> >like to batch scan them, maybe in batches of 10, six million at once is
> >not
> >practical, they don't all fit in the same room at once.. What should I
> >get?
> >
> >Kc
>
> Kyle -
>
> I'm about a tenth of the way through scanning 500,000 slides.  I did a lot
> of research and got a Nikon 4000 with a batch slide scanner attachment.  It
> works great.  I did have to remount all of the slides and negatives in
> thicker plastic mounts - the thin Pakon mounts and cardboard mounts jam
> sometimes, but Wes and Gepe slide mounts will scan forever without a
> jam.  They also hold the film flatter which helps with the scanning. Of
> course, since I bought the 4000, Nikon has now come out with the 5000 which
> is better and faster, but not enough to justify scrapping the old one
> (unless somebody wants to buy it ;-)
>
> I can put 40 slides in the batch scanner and leave, knowing that they'll
> scan perfectly and be waiting for me to file when I return.  I couldn't
> imagine scanning without the Nikon.  I think if you read reviews on the
> internet, you'll come to the same conclusion.

Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] In need of batch slide scanner recommendation)