Subject: [Leica] In need of batch slide scanner recommendation
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Jan 19 14:10:16 2005

At 03:19 PM 1/19/2005, you wrote:
>Hey kids -- I have about six million slides that need to be scanned. I'd
>like to batch scan them, maybe in batches of 10, six million at once is not
>practical, they don't all fit in the same room at once.. What should I get?
>
>Kc

Kyle -

I'm about a tenth of the way through scanning 500,000 slides.  I did a lot
of research and got a Nikon 4000 with a batch slide scanner attachment.  It
works great.  I did have to remount all of the slides and negatives in
thicker plastic mounts - the thin Pakon mounts and cardboard mounts jam
sometimes, but Wes and Gepe slide mounts will scan forever without a
jam.  They also hold the film flatter which helps with the scanning. Of
course, since I bought the 4000, Nikon has now come out with the 5000 which
is better and faster, but not enough to justify scrapping the old one
(unless somebody wants to buy it ;-)

I can put 40 slides in the batch scanner and leave, knowing that they'll
scan perfectly and be waiting for me to file when I return.  I couldn't
imagine scanning without the Nikon.  I think if you read reviews on the
internet, you'll come to the same conclusion.

Hope this helps!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com