Subject: [Leica] Re: Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sat Jan 22 04:20:39 2005

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Feli wrote:

> I doubt that Daniel. Even Nikon shooters can see the difference between
> one of their primes and that zoom.

As I said ... I don't doubt it. I AM a conservative Nikon shooter (too). I
only use AIS primes and mostly F3. I got the zoom as a package on the
D100.

Didn't like it (on the D100) set it aside and that was that. I ran across
an F90x for about 150 dollars and decided to buy it. That would give me an
autofocus camera that could actually use the zoom. I still don't use it as
a rule, but just yesterday I had a couple of frames to finish off before
processing the film, so I put it on.

All Tri-X @ 1600 with Xtol 1:1
http://www.dlridings.com/temp/05v03-0001.jpg (around 50 wide-open)
http://www.dlridings.com/temp/05v03-0002.jpg (24 wide-open)
http://www.dlridings.com/temp/05v03-0003.jpg (85 wide-open)

There's still dust and crap on the negatives. I never really expected to
ever scan these.

The Elmar I have is not totally comparable, but it was also just a test. A
text of the new Tri-X when it came out. I remember they were also
wide-open:

http://www.dlridings.com/temp/v14-0014.jpg
http://www.dlridings.com/temp/eyes.jpg

My point is that consumer glass has reached the standards of Leica
glass from years back. Actually, it has surpassed it.

I never liked this lens before, but I never had a body I could use i on
either (its a G lens so it only works at f22 on an F3).

Now if you take Nikon or Canon's pro-line lenses. There is no way I can
see a Canon pro opting to buy a Leica lens instead of a Canon one. I can
fully understand those who have an investment in Leica glass use them on
their Canons instead of buying new Canon lenses. But when the discussion
was about Leica making lenses for other makes ... why? Who would buy them
at a premium? It is against that background I said that a fantastic lens
(Canon pro-line) can easily be adjusted in PS to equal a Leica lens. The
difference is oh so small ... and undoubtedly a few time in favor of the
Canon.

I'm not Leica banging. I like their stuff. But when it comes to digital,
it's the software that counts. Leica doesn't have it and has never been
known for its cutting edge technology. That's what you're going to need to
survive in digital. I hope they do. It's going to be tough.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] Re: Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x)
Message from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x)
Message from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re: Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x)