Subject: [Leica] Re: Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sat Jan 22 11:44:48 2005

It's really not so strange, is it Phong? Consumer glass today has 50 years
of manufacturing experience between itself and Leica lenses of the 50'ies.

The Chinese Nikkor 50/1.8 will run circles around a lot of "vintage"
makes. I won't mention names, because they tend to bring out the
irrational.

In this particular case, and I can't generalize too much because I don't
have many consumer grade lenses, but in this particular case I can see
with my own eyes that my zoom outperforms my Elmar 50/2.8. I would have
been disappointed if it didn't. _Something_ must have happened in the
meantime (I kind of believe in progress ... most of the time).

Now a modern 50/2.8 ... surely the zoom wouldn't come close too. But one
made in the 50'ies ... of course it will.

Still advantages to the one from the 50'ies. You can put it on an M, and
an M goes only "click", not "ka-chunck". That appeals to me very much.

Daniel