Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica glass
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jan 22 13:55:53 2005

On 1/22/05 1:35 PM, "JCB" <jcb@visualimpressions.com> typed:

> At 04:12 AM 1/22/2005, dnygr wrote:
>
>> Someone made a comment that everyone has good glass now. That depends on
>> what the meaning of good is. I can always see the difference between
>> Leica's and others' glass. Leica negs stand up well to medium format glass
>> as well. We all know that.
>

> Leica does not make their glass. They buy it from several glass vendors,
> Schott, Hoya, etc. Leica glass is right-out-of-the-catalog glass. The only
> glass made by Leica is in their research facility, for R&D purposes - and
> they possibly do not still do this.
>
> Marc Small can elaborate on "Leica" glass should you need further
> clarification.
>
> JB

I think that on the LUG and elsewhere the term "Leica glass" or "Nikon
glass" is talking about the LENSES as a whole. Lens design and manufacture.
Not where they are getting the glass itself from to put in the lenses.

As in "I'm going to put my "LENS" on my camera right now and go out and take
some pictures".

And "good" glass has nothing to do with Leica.
Leica is pretty obviously all about delivering a premium product.
Not a "good" one.
Good is everywhere.

The camera industry I think is more competitive than any other I can think
of - car's, audio, watches...
It's amazing what you can get for just a few bucks if photography is your
goal.
Lots of GOOD stuff.

But for "GREAT" stuff then you have to make some decisions. And save some
money perhaps.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon