Subject: [Leica] Leica IIIc
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 08:33:17 2005

In answer to Duchan, Don Dory writes:

While I love my screwmounts, I would have to question purchasing a  fifty
or sixty year camera as my first rangefinder.  Before you buy,  try
7 sprocket holes in the approved  pattern:

http://www.nemeng.com/leica/003d.shtml

Second, do you  find the separation of the rangefinder window from the
rather small and  squinty viewfinder window something you can live with
for your kind of  photography?

Third, do you understand the division of shutter speeds on  different
dials, how you shift between the slow speed and high speed  train.
Related, will the rotating shutter speed dial bother you as you  handle
the camera.

Assuming you have worked through the above, then  look at the camera.
Unless you have papers proving a recent CLA, assume that  the camera will
need to be worked on.  Start with the rangefinder patch,  is it bright
and distinct, or is it hard to see on low contrast  subjects.  In
relatively dim lighting can you focus?

Next up, set  the top shutter speed to 1/30 and the front speed dial to
1.  Trip the  shutter, does the gear train sound even, does it hesitate,
or does it not  finish the cycle.  If it doesn't finish the cycle, and
you don't really  want to spend 150 to 200 euro fixing the camera, then
stop on this model and  move on.  Unless of course the camera is less
than 100 Euro and you know  a competent repair person.

Assuming the shutter is smooth at one second,  proceed through the
shutter speeds making sure that the gears sound smooth  and even.

Open the bottom of the camera, does it have the take up  spool?  What
does the camera smell like?  Mildew is bad, old  lubricant is bad, nice
clean lubricant smell is good.

Take the lens  off, look at the shutter curtain.  Does it look cracked
and dry or does  it look like clean black silk?  Trip the shutter or wind
it to look at  the other curtain, does it look the same?

Last, any purchaser should give  you return privilege after you shoot a
roll of film to make sure there are no  light leaks or other nasties.

Now, why do I like LTM's?  First, they  are small and handy, almost
stealthy in use.  There is a huge store of  lenses at relatively cheap
prices out there in the most common focal lengths;  12mm to 180mm if you
go somewhat extreme.  If you know how to expose  without a meter, they
are a delight to use in thoughtful photography.   If you are a bit
eccentric, then a PLOOT opens up focal lengths way out  there.  Want to
wind faster; learn to wind with your index finger or  purchase one of
Tom's Barnack winders.  Two frames a second with a sixty  year old camera
is not too bad.
Don
_dorysrus@mindspring.com_ (mailto:dorysrus@mindspring.com)

I agree with all Don Dory says but if Duchan lives in Germany,  Leica
repair
people should be able to deliver an overhauled late-model IIIc body with  a
late-model lens [ say, an Elmar 50/3.5] at a reasonable price, say no more
than $250 USD [199 Euros].

The IIIc was made from 1940 to 1951 [ with Serial Numbers from 360,175 to
525,000], so anything with numbers beginning from 500,000 would be a late
model.
 Wartime models often had flaky chrome because of chrome shortages. The
50/3.5  Elmar lens, made from 1924 to 1942, were coated starting with Ser.
No.
581,501,  so that most 50/3.5 Elmar lenses after that should be suitable.

   Assuming that the seller is honest and he can back the camera,  the
hardest part --as Don mentioned -- is loading the film and I suggest that
Duchan
actually tries to load a roll of film.
   If his second finger -- the pointer -- is thick, he may find  it
difficult
to remove the take up spool [on the right side of the camera as he  points
it
toward the subject] so that he can load the film.
 I don't remember if the spring-loaded take-up spool fits the IIIc,  but if
it does, I suggest he ask the seller to provide it instead of the older
one.
 If Duchan is able to load the film, I believe the rest should be  easy.
 For $250, I believe the seller should also give him a clean  Leica case
and,
depending on Duchan's bargaining prowess, a UV filter, hood and  instruction
book, especially the instruction book.
 Regards, bob cole

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Leica IIIc)
Reply from ferider at yahoo.com (Der Eiserne Reiter) ([Leica] Leica IIIc)