Subject: [Leica] Depth of Field / Crop Factor was Doomed Leica MP 0.58X
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Jan 24 15:51:46 2005

I'm not an expert on this stuff - in any way shape or form. But I know
you're right on this, Howard. A 21mm lens on a digital with a factor of
2x is a 20 mm lens, with the depth of field of a 20 mm lens, cropped so
that the magnification of the image is equivalent to that shot with a 40
mm lens. I played with this recently when I used the OM adapter to put
the Zuiko 21 f 2 wide angle on my E-1, and then shot a self portrait
with the camera less than a foot from the mirror. VERY weird, because I
indeed had a cropped 21 mm image shot very close - my hand holding the
camera was huge.