Subject: [Leica] doomed?
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Mon Jan 24 17:31:13 2005

Douglas, I wrote to Hanns-Peter Cohn to exactly this effect four years ago;
that Leica ought to buy used gear in good condition, service it and sell it
with a warranty as do Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar and doubtless other car
manufacturers. Problem was that the cost of acquring the necessary product
was too high to make it profitable after the servicing. Remember that four
years ago, digital was only beginning and a mint-  M4 was selling for
$1,800-2,000. I sold one, mint-  with a real ding, no a dent, in the edge of
the topplate left of the VF window, for $1,850.

Seth