Subject: [Leica] scanning B&W film
From: lists at heninger.org (Wade Heninger)
Date: Wed Jan 26 11:46:32 2005

> I've noticed that a number of people who are on this list are shooting
> B&W and posting pictures online.  I'm working on scanning some current
> B&W work as well as some old negatives.  There are a wide variety of
> films and I'm looking for tips on getting the best results.  The
> scanner is a Minolta Dimage IV; software is vuescan.
>
> If there is an online resource that covers this topic well, I'd
> appreciate knowing where it is.

If we are talking B/W film, you can start by selling the IV and getting at
least one step up.

I had lots of problems with the IV really - the results just sucked.

I *like* my Minolta Scan Elite 5400, but the $1K Nikon would have been
nicer.

As to specific advice:

Scan in 16 bit mode
Scan at a high resolution
Tweak the curves in Vuescan as appropriate

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] scanning B&W film)