Subject: [Leica] Wireless Network?
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Wed Jan 26 14:40:42 2005

Tina - I you're running Macs I'd suggest you get in touch with the
closest Apple Store and ask them about it.  I've had really good
experience with the techs at the so-called "Genius Bar" in my local
store.  I understand they'll help you set up an Apple Airport network
for PCs, too.

I run two Macs, a PowerBook G4 and an iMac G5 on an Airport Express
network.  It was pretty easy to set up, but you do need to follow the
instructions carefully.

The wireless connection does not seem to slow down my cable modem at
all, but there I think the bottleneck is in the cable network, not
the wireless network.  Between my two machines, though, it runs a
about half the speed of a typical Ethernet connection, and Apple
agrees that's about all it's going to do.  That's also about half the
advertised speed.  Speed also drops off as you get further and
further from the Airport device, too.  I don't see any difference
anywhere in my relatively small house, though.

So, they are a mixed bag, but maybe worth trying.  An alternate, of
course, is to set up a small wired Ethernet network.  If you can deal
with the wires it should be easier to set up and I would expect it to
be faster overall.

Good luck.