Subject: [Leica] Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Thu Jan 27 05:27:25 2005

Joseph Low wrote:
> I consider them quality tools :)

That, they are Joseph.  But consumerism
is more in the attitude than in the object.
In a destitute area, everything around
is cheaply made, and  there is no throw-away.
In  an affluent neighborhood, plenty of
perfectly made goods are thrown away
everyday.   I see at the dump (now called
"transfer station", perhaps to avoid allusion
to waste ?) in my town all the time.

It is just that that on the average, I see more
consumerism among people who can afford
Leicas or Rolexes.   Not to say that I have not met
some remarkably frugal Leica users.  Not to say
that I have not met many Leica owners who really,
really use their tools.  That, of course is not consumerism.
But buying extremely well made cameras, wood working
tools, kitchen utensils, etc. just for occasional use
is consumerism.

And of course,  I do not mean to imply you are like that
at all.  If anything, I am saying I am part of that consumerism
society myself.

Regards,

- Phong

Replies: Reply from joelct at singnet.com.sg (Joseph Low) ([Leica] Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x)