Subject: [Leica] Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Fri Jan 28 05:33:31 2005

I think concerns about planned obsolescence are generally overblown. In
information technology, you don't really have to plan at all - a series of
advances, small and large, combine to often make replacement more cost
effective than repair/maitenance/upgrade.  If anything, you DO have to plan
for longevity and backward/forward compatibility, often at great expense -
Tandem, IBM mainframe, Unix systems, and so on.

In many consumer technologies, price and features just trumps quality and
longevity.  Companies are planning more for market share than for
obsolescence per se.

This does not mean that companies don't anticipate replacements cycles, or
that conspiratorial engineering doesn't happen from time to time.  And of
course, in particular, you can't stay in business very long cranking out
feature
rich but inexpensive products sold near margin that last forever - duh. But
staying in business is hardly conspiratorial :-)

Scott

Message from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x)