Subject: [Leica] Re: IIIf and Low-light conditions
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Sun Jan 30 08:15:32 2005

cwoods wrote:

> I continue to eagerly await the return of my Opa's IIIf which I sent off
> to the "spa" for a CLA. I was wondering if there are suggestions as to
> using the camera in low-light conditions? I don't know if I should look
> into high speed film (I use 100 speed with it normally and the pictures
> have been great!), a tripod, or a flash? Any suggestions? I've been told
> that a flash might "not" be the way to go? But I was hoping to play around
> with some indoor shots, etc....
> thanks (as usual),
> chris

Chris,

I have been using a IIIf with 5cm f1.5 Summarit, for some time; with BW400CN
film - and its relatives - I love using it and it does work in low light.

You have to be careful and it certainly doessn't provide the same contrast
as
modern lenses, but for fun, a certain retro feel and the joy of carrying a
small
package round that can shoot in most light it IS hard to beat. Oh and it's
cheaper!! ;-)

If you want examples look at my album:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/My-album

many of which were shot with the Summarit and

my PAW which is at:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album164

which has had quite a bit of (very) low-light stuff so far.

Hope that this is of some help. More than happy to discuss more on list or
off.

Peter Dzwig

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: IIIf and Low-light conditions)