Subject: [Leica] lost image recovery
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas M.Sharp)
Date: Sun Jan 30 09:15:56 2005

Hello to all those of us who also venture into the world of digital.

About once a week I get around to checking out what kinds of freeware are on
offer. Today I discovered something which may come in useful on those days
when
we have our brains turned off.

http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

It's  available in a whole selection of languages and with a
clear and intuitive layout,whoever made it is one of those strange rare
people
who don't assume that you have a degree in computer technology, it's so
simple
you don't need a manual. KISS, as Ted Grant would say, gets another letter
KI-V-SS

I just tried this out on a CF-card where I had deleted all the images but
one.
Surprise , surprise it found the 32 shots I'd deleted.
It runs on just about all formats imaginable (including all Canon, Nikon,
Olympus and other RAW files) I let it look for CR2, CRW and jpegs. Apart from
being a little slow (my brain WAS turned off, I ran it on a 1GB card). It
found
everything in quick mode - there is another mode for a more intensive search
but
I didn't try that yet.

So much for the advantages for storage cards - it looks as if you can also
run
it over your hard disk or memory stick too, when I get around to it I'll try
this too.
It really made my day to find something as well thought out as this.
cheers
Douglas
No connection to PC-Inspector, just credit where credit is due.

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] lost image recovery)