Subject: [Leica] MULTIPLE MESSAGES
From: joecodi at clearsightusa.com (J. Codispoti)
Date: Sun Jan 30 12:18:40 2005

Dear LUG friends,

Thanks to all who responded to my appeal for help. Thanks to Brian also for
offering to diagnose the problem. I have just returned from a trip and
found the following message from my provider who, evidently, corrected the
problem during my absence.
I am forwarding the message in its entirety in the interest of education
regarding duplicate messages.

Joe

One of the virus programs would not act automatically and delete the virus
when one came in. It would report to ArgoSoft (my e-mail server) that the
file could not be accessed. ArgoSoft would quit the session, likely with an
error message on your computer that the connection had been closed. Now an
e-mail program works this way: You check your mail by clicking send and
receive. Your computer contacts the e-mail server and they shake hands the
POP is your receiving program is asking for mail and the server send you
whatever mail is in your box. After you have gotten all the mail, your
e-mail program tells the server to delete the mail off the server (unless
you have configured your program otherwise as with your laptop) The server
follows instruction and delete all the mail files in your mail box.

What happened is the virus program denied access to an e-mail containing a
virus and the connection was broken so the mail in your box was never
deleted. You connect again since the connection was broken and you did not
get all your mail, since none of the mail was deleted (the last action in
the session) you will get the same e-mail over and over again. This is why
everything was OK when I deleted the contents of your mail box, we got rid
of the virus. I installed Norton Antivirus and supposedly that can delete
or pass a virus without closing the connection.